Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Reece at 5 Months

I won't even pretend we're on top of things around here. Life's just been a little crazy, and somehow these days seem to get away from me. I'm not really sure how that happens! I was supposed to have all kinds of free time once I stopped pumping, but I still seem to struggle to get just the daily tasks done...laundry, dinner, and a little cleaning. Maybe it's just this season...or maybe it's just life.


Reece's fifth month was full of ups and downs. Reece did really well on the flight to Cebu, and he managed to be pretty go-with-the-flow while we were there, too. Most of his naps were in the stroller and way shorter than either of us would have liked. Nonetheless, he managed to be in a good mood most of the time.


Shortly after I hit publish on Reece's 4 month update, he started struggling in the sleep department. I kept hearing about the "4 month sleep regression" (I don't remember this with the first two kids), but I thought for sure we'd skip it because we were doing everything "right." He always falls asleep by himself in his crib. He's swaddled to prevent any startling (it's actually a double swaddle and it still works great!). I switched him to a 4 hour schedule at 4 months. But, he appeared to just be uncomfortable in his own skin. One night, I had Eric move out to the couch so that I could bring Reece into bed with me and he just moved all.night.long. Restless and miserable. Poor guy. Thankfully, it only lasted about a week, and it turned out that much of what I'd read was true. He started sleeping better after the regression was over.


At the beginning of the month, he slept through the time when he was normally eating a couple of times, so we were able to drop the middle of the night feeding. The week before we left for Cebu, he finally starting sleeping through the night, 12-13 hours, and I was so nervous to take him on vacation! He actually slept really well while we were there (for the most part), but he's been struggling since we got back. Last week, he was waking up about 10 times a night, and this week he's not napping well, but at least he's sleeping at night! I'm hoping this phase is over sooner rather than later. It's only about 10 weeks until we get on another plane! I don't really think these things are related to our trip, but I know that jet lag won't be doing us any favors on our next trip!


Reece weighed in at 6.3 kg and 65 cm at the beginning of March when he went to the doctor for immunizations. The doctor seemed very pleased with his growth this time, as he's now almost up to the 10th percentile and officially on the chart! It's incredible to me that this little chowhound can still be so tiny because he's now drinking four 7 oz bottles four times a day, plus about 4 oz for the dream feed. Most of the other babies his age that we know are still only eating 4 or 5 oz bottles. He was spitting up quite a bit when we made the switch to eating more less often, but thankfully, that slowed while we were in Cebu. I was worried that I was going to be doing a lot of laundry in the bathtub while on vacation. Most of his warm weather clothes are size 6 months, so he started wearing them while we were gone, and though he can't wear those clothes here, where it's still in the 50s most days, he's still wearing 6 month clothes pretty consistently.


At the beginning of the month, Reece was just starting to be successful getting his toys in his mouth, but now that's a regular occurrence. Most of the time, we still hand him toys, but he's starting to grab things around him, too. Thankfully, he still hasn't started rolling, so we don't have to be too careful about what's on the ground yet.


He has also started watching everything that we put in our mouths with great interest. It didn't seem that he would be content to wait until 6 months to start solid foods, so we tried rice cereal last week. We had started giving him carrot sticks at meals when we were in the Philippines because he was not real thrilled that the rest of us were eating while he had to just sit there and watch. I don't think he noticed a difference between the carrot and any toy that we handed him, but Kennedy and Cade thought it was very exciting! The rice cereal hasn't really been doing it for him, though. I think he's fairly certain that he's missing out on the good stuff...either that or we're a bunch of liars who only pretend to enjoy food!


We're still blessed to have a fairly happy, content baby. He's started to get a little tired of the "all I can do is lay here" thing, I think. In spite of the fact that he arches his back after laying on the floor for awhile, he still doesn't try very hard to roll. He doesn't mind being on his stomach for awhile now, though. He also goes to sleep happy and wakes up happy most of the time, and the giggles are coming much easier these days. All in all, I think we're pretty lucky. And look at those faces...he keeps us guessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...