Wednesday, April 1, 2015

To Cebu and Back

Things are busy around here right now, but here's a few pictures from our trip to Cebu and proof that we survived.

As always, the flight there was great. Four hours. Direct from Seoul to Cebu. Sure, we had to get up at 4 am to leave for the airport, but it was okay; we were going on vacation! They bumped us up to business class (not too impressive on Philippine Air). We had lots of leg room and we were in the curtained off area up front (that always reminds me of the movie Jerry McGuire when the closing of the curtain is such a significant event for her watching from coach).

Then, they informed me that I had to move across the aisle and trade places with Eric because we had 2 infants in our row and there weren't enough masks. Eesh. The kids didn't nap, so I didn't either, but it was uneventful. Reece tried his best to sleep with all of the crying babies around us, and he remained in a good mood.

The flight back was a different story, though. Our flight left Cebu at 11 pm, so both boys were asleep within minutes of leaving the resort for the airport. Thankfully, I had Reece in the Ergo, so Cade was able to utilize the stroller for our wait at the airport. (That stroller is ridiculously big, heavy, and inconvenient, but it sure was nice that it supported the weight and size of a 6 year old!)

Kennedy also fell asleep during our uncomfortable wait in the airport, so that by the time we were ready to board, Eric had to carry Cade while I carried Reece and pulled the suitcase and Kennedy. Good times.

Our flight was only an hour because we had a layover in Manila. As it turns out, the Manila airport is large, not well-signed, and really makes no sense at all (especially in the middle of the night). We had already been warned that a one hour layover in the Manila airport was going to be challenge. We had to wake up the big kids, so they could walk/run themselves, and then we had to book it from the moment the plane touched down.

It turned out that we really couldn't move at any normal speed because we couldn't figure anything out on our own. We had to ask directions around every corner. We kept going in and out of buildings. One person would send us to an elevator, only to discover that the elevator was shut down. We couldn't find the entrance to the building. Then we got in and paid our immigration fee (?), and then had to run to the other side of the building to actually go through immigration.

The icing on the cake was when we finally arrive at our last security checkpoint (we'd probably been through about 6 already by then!), and Eric dashes through with his backpack still on while the rest of us manage to wake up the security agents who decide they need to inspect Kennedy's backpack. What a pain! All the while, we've been hearing the calls for our flight as it is boarding, and I had read the time incorrectly and thought we were missing the flight entirely. In the end, we made it onto the flight.

Reece promptly woke up, so I fed him. He then peed all over me. I had Eric get out a change of clothes for Reece and me and we head back to the bathroom. Reece then proceeds to throw up everything that he'd just eaten as the plane hits turbulence moments after I laid him down. Once we were finally cleaned up, Eric, in his half-asleep state, couldn't figure out how to put on the baby carrier.

So, I ended up wearing Reece in the carrier that causes my shoulders and back great pain, right in between the two big kids who were sleep on either side of me and kept falling over onto my arms, which were holding up Reece's head. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night...and then had to drive home from the airport. The things we do for our family, a vacation, and a little warm weather! Realistically, though, this flight was much better than our last, and this was the hardest part of the whole week, so I can't complain too much. Hopefully, I'll be back soon with real pictures from our trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...