Saturday, December 26, 2015

Leading up to Christmas

Well, I hadn't necessarily planned on that last post being the last one before Christmas, but I'm okay with it. I'm assuming that all of you were just as busy as we were the last couple of weeks! On top of all of the regular getting-ready-for-Christmas and the my-kids-are-home-from-school stuff, I also took a little photography class, which ate up any free time that I would have had. So, there's that.


So, aside from sickness, we spent the week leading up to Christmas taking fun pictures, going to the staff Christmas party on base, and baking Christmas goodies.


I was trying so hard to get the perfect kids-reading-in-front-of-the-tree picture, but it just didn't work out the way I had planned. 


Oh well. These will have to do. Thankfully, you guys don't know what I was picturing, so you don't know what these are missing. I suppose it's good to know that I still have some goals to work toward for next year.


It's always fun to look back on how things have changed over the years, too. At least I'm not still posting blurry pictures anymore, like I was that first year.


I've also been working on getting in the picture a little more often again, so the tripod has found a new home in our living room, right on the edge of the kitchen. 



Our cooking baking and decorating didn't work out as originally planned with the stomach bug running rampant through our house.


Three of us were sick the first day I was planning on making them. Then, we finally got the dough done and sick kids prevented us from cutting and baking.


Then, Eric and Kennedy got sick, so the decorating was delayed. By the time we finally got around to finishing them, it was the 23rd and Cade had a stomachache, so Kennedy and I ended up doing them by ourselves. We had to get them finished, though! 


The kids passed out plates to all of our neighbors and the security guards in our complex when they were finally complete. We still have plenty of cookies, though! Even after passing out a couple of dozen to friends, so that they could decorate with their kids. 


Christmas Eve, I spent the day preparing my mom's caramel rolls and the strata for breakfast the next morning. Honestly, I don't think there was much of our Christmas Eve that we will want documented from this year. The kids were not particularly well-behaved and by the time we were ready to leave for church, there was valid concern that our Christmas morning might not look like what the kids were hoping for. A reminder of the true reason for this season was definitely what we needed at that point.


Thankfully, everything worked out, after the kids wrote long and detailed letters to "Santa" about how they intended to change their behavior. We were all in much better moods after the candlelight service and chatting with friends at church (as well as eating!). So, Eric and I spent the late evening wrapping presents while watching Home Alone (because, it's a classic, of course) and playing Santa.


And finally, after all of the preparations, all that was left was a few hours of sleep before the much-anticipated day was finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...