Sunday, January 6, 2013

On the motorcy...

On our 2nd full day, we rented motorbikes, or "motorcys" as the Thai would say. We got three to start but couldn't figure out how we were all going to fit on them, so Eric thought that we should rent another one for me.


It had been more than 20 years since I'd gotten on a motorbike. When I was little, I drove a friend's around their yard for a few minutes before I burned my calf on the exhaust pipe. I hadn't even ridden on one since. So, I thought it might be a good idea to go on a little test drive first.


It was a good thing I tried first. I made it out to the main road...barely. I had just made the turn onto the asphalt when I started getting nervous. I must have been picturing road rash because I suddenly got nervous and rather than wipe out in the middle of the road, I decided to lay down the bike in the first grassy spot I could find.


Thankfully, I wasn't going very fast, so I just ended up with a few scratches and a bruised foot from where the bike laid down on it. I got back on and rode down the road a bit more before heading back, but needless to say I was not feeling a need to get back on and ride 40 km/h with one of my kids on the bike with me.


So Cade rode with Eric, Gretchen rode with Dad, and Kennedy and I rode with my brother. My dad looked like quite the biker with his do-rag!


We rode out to Khao Sam Roi Yod National Park which wasn't too far from where we were staying.


We stopped at a couple of sites along the road: a small cave, a temple, and a great view of the squid boats.


We had lunch at one of the huts along the beach before the guys took off for their hike to the sinkhole  cave...more pictures of that to come.


My foot wasn't feeling great after my little "mishap," so Gretchen and I hung out and had a beer on the beach while everyone else headed off.


The language barrier reared its ugly head after we raced back from our trek to find out that we had rented the "motorcys" for 24 hours and they weren't due back at 5:00 after all. If only we'd known; there was so much more to explore!


Highs of 40-50 km/h had their impact on my dad's hair...he looked like he was zooming along even while he was standing still!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...