Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Our "Halloween"

The quotes on that one are purposeful. Our "Halloween" wasn't a real Halloween at all, but we did have Korean-preschool and Christian-international-school-that-doesn't-celebrate-Halloween versions of Halloween.


About a week and half before Halloween (I have no idea how they decide on dates for these things), Cade had a Halloween party at school. He got to wear a costume, bring candy, and come home with loads of candy. I suppose it's no surprise that he didn't really relay the details of what actually happened at school.


This year, I was smart, planned ahead, and asked friends to borrow a costume for my Batman-obsessed little boy. He was beyond thrilled that someone actually had a Batman costume that he could wear. So was I!


Every month, our school has a dress up day in the elementary school. Most of the time, it's kind of a headache for me. Korean culture dress up day--yeah, we don't have a hanbok. I guess we should get one. Hangul day--no, she doesn't own anything with Korean writing on it--if she did, she'd probably have worn it for Korean culture dress day.


We were able to throw together something for the country dress up day. We've got jeans, boots, and flannel. We struggle with many of the other days throughout the year, though. We just don't have much stuff around here, nor do we want to collect it.


The week of Halloween, though, she had decades dress up day. That we can do. No, we don't have leg warmers or neon shoe laces. We were able to throw together some leggings, skirt, and a tutu (courtesy of Aunt Jen)--it's nice that much of this has come back. If we just throw together all of the neon clothing items she owns, then we can do 80s day!


That was the extent of our Halloween for this year. Last year we got the chance to go on base and go trick or treating with our friends. We weren't invited to do that this year, but the kids handled it pretty well. I certainly don't miss the candy or the walking around in the cold, but there's a hefty load of mom guilt that comes with watching your kids miss out on a holiday tradition that they enjoy.


This little balloon that Cade brought home from preschool was as close as we got to jack-o-lanterns. There are no big, orange pumpkins in Korea. The closest we get are little, green squash. I can cook them and use it the same way that I would pumpkin puree. They also meet my need for having some fall decorations in the house, but they really aren't big enough for carving. And they certainly aren't orange.


It is just the start of this season where things just aren't the same, but I think Halloween is one of the hardest. Not because it's my favorite holiday or anything, but just because it's so hard to adjust to make it fit here. I think I took it harder than the kids, though. My TCKs adjust pretty well these days, and I'm thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...