Thursday, April 25, 2013

Easter Weekend

This week was a little more normal than last. Thankfully, after missing three days last week with headaches and fever, Kennedy was healthy and back to school this week. I was grateful to only have to work two days this week after working four last week. Somehow, I still didn't much get work done, though. I did finally manage to get my driver's license--more on that later. The weather is consistently in the 60s now, so that's exciting, but we have had some rain this week. It's supposed to get into the 70s this week, and I look forward to that!

My final installment in the spring break saga...I can't believe it's been almost a month since they left!

So, Saturday was our last day with Lindy. She left early in the afternoon, so we just relaxed and in the morning, spending our last few hours with her. Then, Eric took her up to the Hyatt to take the bus to the airport by herself. She was a little nervous, but she made it just fine!

We had pho for dinner afterward in Itaewon, and Evan and Jen got some souvenir celadon. We stopped for brownies and ice cream on the way home.

On Sunday, we got up early because the kids were excited to find all of the chocolate Easter eggs that Eric and Evan had hidden for them.

They got some clothes-filled Easter baskets, thanks to the stash of gifts that we brought back with us this summer (continued thanks to my aunts and uncles and grandparents!).

Afterward, we went to church. Eric was excited to have one of his good friends baptize him, and to have his brother here to see it. He had been talking about getting baptized again (he was a baby the first time) for several years, so I am so glad that he finally did it!

After church, we walked into Itaewon to try to have lunch at one of the most popular Mexican restaurants around here--Vatos Urban Tacos. It was probably almost two in the afternoon before we arrived, and they had a two hour wait. We tried to make a reservation for dinner, and they said they couldn't do it. Thankfully, our HR director happened to be eating there, knew the owner, and was able to get us a reservation for 7:30 for dinner.

So, we headed to Petra Palace, my favorite Turkish restaurant in Itaewon. We had schwarmas, chicken, hummus, and pitas. Yum!

Then, we walked all the way to iPark Mall and Emart--a first for us. Uncle Evan picked out a new baseball glove for Cade and we checked out the weekend shopping experience in Seoul. Busy. Exhausting.

Afterwards, we took a taxi back into Itaewon and finally managed to eat at Vatos. It is by no means authentic Korean food, but it is an interesting Mexican Korean fusion. They are most famous for their kimchi fries, so we had to have an order of those. They were surprisingly good. French fries covered in carnitas, sour cream, salsa, onions, jalapeƱos, and kimchi. Spicy, but not too spicy. The portions here are ridiculously small--even the wait staff admits to it, but since we'd just eaten lunch a few hours earlier, it was okay this time (even for Eric).

We headed home in a hurry to get Kennedy into bed. It was back to school the next day. We stayed up late chatting with Evan and Jen, since it was their last night. We had a great week with family!

Helping others around this city does help us to see how far we've come in the last two years. Evan and Jen went to Kimbap Heaven on their own on their last day here--after only seven days. We didn't even know that restaurant existed for about the first six months that we were here! Once we knew where it was located, we didn't know how to order what we wanted in Korean for about another six weeks. But, we were able to provide Evan with a map and a phonetic list of what they wanted to order. They were able to get lunch and get to their airport by themselves. Now, they're in Maui, and we are so excited to go visit them in July!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...