Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pepero (배배로) Day

I almost never post the same things on the blog that I do on Facebook (and this time a few of you even got text messages about it), but today I'm going to break my own rules!
Just this week we learned about another Korean "holiday" or tradition. Today, 11/11 (and the extra special 11/11/11!) is Pepero Day. I know, you know it as Veteran's Day, so I'll give a shout out to all the veterans reading this, but the Korean Pepero Day is more akin to Valentine's Day in the States than it is Veteran's Day. Today is a holiday celebrated with chocolate-dipped sticks (which I've always known to be poppy--the Japanese term for it) that the kids buy for each other and for their teachers which means we'll have a whole lot of it by the time Eric gets home this afternoon. The sticks look like the number "1", and while many think that Valentine's Day is a holiday created by Hallmark, Pepero Day is indeed a holiday created by the marketing geniuses at Lotte Mart. So, if you read this in time, then you can celebrate Pepero Day alongside Veteran's Day and have a truly special 11/11/11!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chelsea. This is Kathi from welcome2ourjungle.blogspot.com. What a small world. I can't believe we are both from Stanwood and have a son named Kade (Cade). We have been in Indonesia three years. We love it. Let me know if you have any questions. Korea looks beautiful. I am so jealous of your seasons. We have one season here and its HOT. Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. It's fun knowing who actually reads it. Do you have plans to go back to Washington this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are enjoying the seasons. They are much more distinct here than in Stanwood, too! We are already looking forward to our trip back to Washington this summer. Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...