Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wednesday

Wednesdays tend to be pretty busy around here...well, the Wednesdays that I have off anyway. Yesterday, we got up at 7:30 and were out of the house by 9:30 to head to play group. The kids got to decorate gingerbread cookies...which they love!


They were definitely the expert decorators. Of course, there are children from all over the world, so I think for some this was a brand new experience. But, for my kids, it was an opportunity to further develop their skills. They decorated more cookies than any of the other kids and were the least messy, surprisingly!


You can just tell what he's planning here, can't you?


No surprise when he picks one up and bites into it! A good cook always taste tests partway through, right?


Speaking of taste testing...so when we got home from play group, I made the kids lunch and they ate while I got dinner started. Then they went to their rooms for quiet time (because apparently Cade thinks he's outgrown naps now...I am not ready for that!), and I finished dinner.


I am starting to struggle to come up with meals that I can make ahead of time and then bring over to our friends' house for "Lost night". It has to be something that can quickly be re-heated because it's hard to bring a hot pot or dish down the street, into the cab, and up the steep hill to their house (it takes about 20 minutes to get there...not too bad). And it has to be something that can feed 4 guys who never eat anything home-cooked and 4 girls who are starving by 6:30.


This week I went with sloppy joes, which I've never made before. I'm really not that big of a fan, but it seemed easy enough and not too expensive because it only called for one can of tomato paste and one can of tomato sauce. The peppers, onions, and garlic are pretty cheap, so I threw a lot of those in to add flavor. When I was taste testing initially it was hard for me to tell how it was going to turn out because I really didn't know what it was supposed to taste like. I threw in a little more ketchup, a little more brown sugar, and a different kind of soy sauce. And after sitting for a few hours while I took the kids to school to hang out for awhile and I went to workout (then made a quick trip home to take a shower and we were out the door again), and then reheating it when we got to the boys' house, I was happy with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...