Monday, November 7, 2011

While we're on the topic of food...

Oh wait...were we talking about food? Maybe it's just because I'm always thinking about food...
I feel that I must tell you about our first overseas Thanksgiving. What's that? You haven't celebrated Thanksgiving yet? Well, that's okay. We've celebrated it 3 times now, and American Thanksgiving hasn't even happened yet. The first 2 didn't really count. One was the Korean Thanksgiving, Chuseok, and the other was Canadian Thanksgiving and we didn't really celebrate either one. But we did have Thanksgiving on Sunday.
Our church decided that they would celebrate Thanksgiving between the Canadian Thanksgiving and the American Thanksgiving, so we had lunch after church on Sunday. It was an interesting spread. We started with the traditional turkey and mashed potatoes. The gravy was see-through, so I didn't go for that. We moved down to the stuffing and here's where things started to get iffy. It didn't look like any stuffing I'd ever had because you can't buy cubed stuffing here, but I went ahead and tried it anyway. Then we ran into the 4 green bean casseroles and one of them even had french fried onions on it! Next up was the kimbap (complete with Spam and processed cheese!), so I opted out this time. This was followed by spring rolls, fried rice (also with Spam), and kimchi. Then came the Indian samosas (which taste good regardless of the meal...I mean fried dumpling with curried potatoes and peas...what's not to love? Seriously, I really like these), mint chutney, and tomato sauce, followed by the plain white rice (this is what the kids consumed the most of). The dessert table was pretty typical actually--a lot of pumpkin pies purchased at Costco, as well as rolls, and several bags of American style chips. What a feast! If only I had pictures!
While we're on the topic of food, I must share the fact that I finally made cooked my own bulgogi last night and it was delicious! You can actually buy already sliced and marinated meat for bulgogi in all of the local markets here, and it is so good! Then all you have to do is cook the meat, saute some onions and mushrooms, throw on some rice and you have dinner! We even wrapped it all up in lettuce leaves while eating with our chopsticks...we're so Korean! The only downside is that I had planned to have that for dinner without looking at the school lunch calendar. It turns out I got to have for lunch and dinner yesterday. Lucky me! Eric went for the Western side at the cafeteria with the "piccata milanese". Since I wasn't sure what kind of meat that was, I went with the Korean side. If you haven't checked out our school lunch calendar yet, you should really do it. It's very entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...