Sunday, September 21, 2014

Another Experience

It's been another interesting week. Well, actually, most of our week wasn't too interesting. We were back to the regular routine with school, with a full 5 day week. They won't have another one of those for 2 more weeks. I stayed pretty busy myself with a mom's outing on Monday, volunteering at play group on Tuesday, and Bible study on Friday. Oh, the routine of a stay-at-home mom.


We finally had all of the office furniture removed this week, and it's amazing how a completely empty bedroom actually makes me feel more ready for this kid to arrive. Still no word on when the crib will be here, but I'm hoping for sooner rather than later.


This is the weekend of the staff retreat down at Taechon Beach, which we usually attend and enjoy (for the most part), but I just wasn't up for the challenge of a 4 hour bus ride, packing, lots of walking, and uncomfortable sleeping and shower arrangements, so we stayed home for the 3 day weekend.


On Saturday, Eric returned to the baseball routine after a 2 week break for Chuseok. Since the countdown is officially on now for this little babe and there are a couple of Saturdays that I have other plans, I figured this was may be our last chance to make it to a game this fall. Temperatures are in the high 70s and low 80s these days, so we were able to stay comfortable, as long as we were in the shade. Aside from a lot of walking, everything was fine.


The drive home, however, was not a lot of fun. Traffic was really bad, as it was the later game (and a long one that eventually ended in a tie), so we ended up driving home way too late in the afternoon for light traffic in Seoul. It only took us about a half hour to get there, but it took more than an hour and a half to get home. And on the way, we were rear ended by a taxi. Thankfully, we were in stop and go traffic, so no one was going very fast. There was no damage to the car and no one had any complaints--except for me--with another backache.


I knew that even though the accident was really minor, had it been a week day, I would have gone to the doctor just to make sure that everything was okay. But, it was a Saturday evening, and I didn't really think it was worthy of a trip to the E.R. Of course, I went home and Googled it, and the overwhelming advice was to to go the doctor--or at least call. It wasn't the advice I wanted, so I stopped reading.


The fact was that I wasn't feeling great. I had quite a bit of lower back pain and some lower abdominal pain, as well (though this kid continued to move a lot!). The discomfort continued throughout the night and into the morning, and so I did a little more Googling. After reading a little more about the things that can go wrong, it seemed that the responsible thing to do was go and get checked out. So, that's what we did.


I called our neighbors that we knew hadn't gone on the retreat (she's also 8 months pregnant, and I may be guilty of convincing her not to go) to come over and watch the kids while we headed to the E.R. It was a surprisingly painless experience. Sure, we didn't know where we were going. Sure, we used hand signals to communicate with people. The E.R. itself was full of awkwardness of not knowing where to go, but we were eventually led up to the maternity ward and there the doctor and nurse spoke English, so we had a pretty good idea of what was going on.


They monitored the baby's heartbeat and checked for contractions. Everything looked normal, but they did an ultrasound to check for placental abruption, just in case. All in all, I think the trip was reassuring for us in more ways than one. First of all, assurance that all is well with the baby made us both feel much better. For me, finding that everyone spoke enough English to get by and that they knew all of the right things to check made me feel much more confident. And for Eric, actually seeing the maternity ward and knowing that we will be able to make it there when I go into labor helped him to have a little better idea of what to expect. And the whole thing only cost us $250, which I figure is pretty good for a trip to the E.R.


I was put on a 48 hour bed rest, just to ensure that my placenta stays where it should, so I'll be relaxing a little more on this 3 day weekend than I'd originally planned. I'm grateful that it isn't any longer, though!


These pictures are from our last week in Washington. We took the kids to a children's museum on a particularly hot day. We drove up to Tacoma to meet Eric's aunt and let the kids play at the splash park. We went to the park with Lindy and walked down to the beach after having a picnic. Eric and Cade went on a backpacking trip in the North Cascades, while Kennedy and I went to a Seattle Reign game. We combined that with one last trip to see the cousins (big and little) in the north end, before finally attending the wedding of a good friend from college and doing our last minute shopping and packing at my aunt and uncle's house before flying out. Another great summer in the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...