Monday, May 7, 2012

Day 7: In the Village

Day seven was pretty similar to day six. We had our normal routine and free time in the morning and then we went to the village again in the afternoon.

This was the crowd of kids we found when we arrived at Jang island. They were so excited to see our kids!


This was my second day in the classroom, but it was the first day for my five 7th grade girls.


They were not pleased when they heard that they had to teach simple and compound sentences to the 4th and 5th graders. We had just covered this a week or two before we left, so they were prepared, though!


Most of the girls finished the day saying that they did not want to become teachers.


They couldn't figure out how to make simple and compound sentences fun and engaging, either. Somehow I don't think they have any empathy for me, though!

Apparently, teaching the same lesson three or four times in a row is "boring". Who knew?!


Nonetheless, I think they enjoyed working with the kids and seeing their enthusiasm for learning!

At the end of the day, we presented each of the teachers at the school with a bag of supplies that we had brought.


Our students had run a school supply drive, as well as doing a bake sale, and a walk-a-thon to buy supplies for the school. The teachers were very grateful, and our students were very proud to hand over the fruits of their labor.


It was really an amazing experience. I'm so glad that I was able to be a part of it, and I'm really enjoying hearing my students talk about how much they enjoyed playing with and working with the kids at the school.

I don't know if I'll ever get to go on this trip again, but I do know that I will never forget how much fun it was to work in this school and experience the Indonesian culture.


Sweet Shot Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...